Technology Is Ruining Our Lives…
…Or is it? I am of the opinion that technology shapes our lives whether we want it to or not, and I am starting to wonder whether that is a good thing!
That may sound like a very broad statement, so let me explain in a more concise way;
- Almost every job in the world now requires you to work with a machine, or at least something with a computer chip in it.
- Many households in the world have, or have access to a Personal Computer, either through a library, or by owning one themselves.
- All modern cars contain a computer of some kind that makes decisions about what the car should do for you.
Five reasons that I believe this ‘take over of technology’ is bad…;
- Computers are only as good as their programmers, and they can still make mistakes. We trust computers to pilot airplanes, and they still crash.
- We are spending way too much time on them. People can become seriously addicted to aspects of computing or the internet, such as; Facebook, Pornography, Emails
- People replace real friends with virtual ones, or ones met over the internet. Am I seriously the only person in the world that finds this sad?
- We are blaming the economy for unemployment, but how many jobs do you think have been taken over by machines? I’m guessing a hell of a lot.
- Computers, and technology in general has the ability to distract people from what they should actually be doing, and they can be used as an excuse for procrastination.
So, what are your thoughts on this topic?
- Growing Organs Inside Computer Chips (bigthink.com)
- Technology Ruins Romance: War Torn (fakeiitian.com)
- How has technology helped or harmed world history today (wiki.answers.com)
- Technology Is NOT Making you Inefficient (jeremiahrants.wordpress.com)
- Technology Is Ruining Your Life [Studies] (gawker.com)